Friday, July 28, 2006

Secret Dad's Stuff

Got in last night from another "Secret Dad's Stuff". For the past 9 months I have been running a night for expectant fathers at our local Family Birth Centre here in Ferntree Gully, I run them every 3 weeks. It is part of the antenatal nights that couples attend, and I get all the men on the 2nd of 4 nights of the classes. We look at all kinds of issues around fathering. I can't tell you exactly what we discuss because it is Secret Dad's stuff. But I will say that we might talk about life changes in being a dad, how to look after your partner, what to expect and your role in labour as well as what to do 24 hours after birth when you walk out of hospital with a brand new baby.

It's always alot of fun and I come out pumped seeing men come alive with expectations and sheer fear at the thought of being a dad soon. I love these nights and last night was no exception, I always get amazing questions. If it wasn't Secret Dad's stuff I might even be able to share them.

2 Comments:

At Friday, August 04, 2006 11:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Barro! Sounds great mate! My brother in law just became a father and I sat with him before hand and told him how traumatic the birthing process can be and how helpless you can feel as the father!
But I also told him the joy and immense intense feelings of love and amazement when you hold that small fragile life in your hands for the first time and she looks at you.

 
At Saturday, August 05, 2006 9:14:00 AM, Blogger Barro said...

Thanks Neal, Yea it's a real honor to sit with guys and chat about this kind of stuff. Being a dad is a real honor and with it incredible responsibilities. I love seeing guys come alive to this, as well as helping to prepare them for the amazing labour itself, words can never express this enough though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home