Saturday, August 05, 2006

A week in politics and the Micah Challenge...

This week saw me off to see 2 of our local Federal members. Firstly Aston member Chris Pearce, had invited some local church ministers for a morning tea and discussion. We spoke around a whole range of topics, from multiculturalism, to petrol prices to the Millennium Development Goals and Australia's level of aid. I was impressed with Chris, in his real concern for people and particuraly for an increase in aid, and yes I did get a chance to raise the current middle east issue as well.

The following day saw 15 local churches meeting with La Trobe member Jason Wood, under the Micah Challenge banner. This was great as we were there as part of a world wide movement of churches campaigning local politicians about the MDG's. We presented petitions and I was part of a smaller group that then met privately with Jason for a further hour to discuss, again Australia's aid giving and hopefuly see it increase. Again I was impressed at his resolve also to see this happen. What we need though is people all over the country though getting their voice heard to continue to put pressure on our government.
But the highlight for me was having 4 grade 6 students from Ferntree Gully North PS there with their principal presenting hard made cards to Jason asking for an increase in aid. These are the kids I teach CRE to each week and we had been discussing world poverty, justice and God's response over the past few weeks. They were rapt to be there and to have their voices heard as well. I was very proud to see the difference one person can make in the lives of so many, I think Jesus had something to say as well about being childlike...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home