Friday, November 03, 2006

Home again, home again

Been home for a few days now, it kind of messes with your head coming back to Oz after spending time in Klong Toey, although I have hit the ground running hard with many things on the go including our local Ferntree Gully Fair, our school Ferntree Gully North Fete, UNOH’s annual benefit dinner, not to mention our Christmas Day Lunch, and there’s a U2 concert thrown in there somewhere as well, luckily no preparation involved from this end.

Finishing teaching English was fantastic, we had a steady group of 25 kids and I taught with josh and Sandra, 2 great guys from Melbourne. Was hard saying goodbye, but a little easier for me knowing that I will see some of them again in 6 months time. Some of their living situations are tragic, yet it was great seeing the joy on their faces each day during our time with them. It kinda reminds me again that we consume far too much, and in our culture it doesn’t even make you happy.

On the last Saturday, I had my first serious motorbike ride in Bangkok, I borrowed Rods bike, some little 250cc thing and with 4 others headed down south, 1 hour out of Bangkok. Riding through the city was an experience, no room to hesitate, was a real blast, even got to relax a bit. We went to an ancient city, and rode around for the day, on borrowed push bikes, was great to have a day with Rod and his mates, a real boys day out.

Thanks to all who followed the journey with me and the others, the Foothills crew went well and were challenged to the core, was great also to see Rory in action in Klong Toey, more to share soon…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home