Monday, April 10, 2006

Free coffee I hear

Heard a great story the other day. I attended Neil Coles Melbourne Summitt on Organic Leadership hosted by my good friends at Forge. There were many good thoughts which I'll attempt to digest over the next while, but one classic which I liked was the way many people "do" evangelism. He told the story in America about a friend who went into a cafe with a heart to share his faith story. He sat in the corner and put up a sign that read, "I'll buy you a free cup of coffee if you listen to me TELL you about my Jesus". After a day of no takers but plenty of abuse he rethought his tactic. He came back sometime later with another sign which read, "I'll buy you a free cup of coffee if I can LISTEN to your thoughts on God" Neil says that the guy was flooded all day from people wanting to talk to him, some went and bought other friends, and told others to come and see this guy. At the end of the day he never paid for one coffee, everyone bought him one.

The morale of the story for me, faith and life is not so much about telling people who don't want to be told but rather listening and sharing life with people, and like with Jesus the journey is often more important than the destination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home