Friday, May 26, 2006

Sorry seems to be the hardest word...

Today is National Sorry Day (Fri May 26) and the begining of National Reconciliation Week. My theory is that this day and in fact this week comes and goes each year with little or no acknowledgment by the general public. Not because they are not interested but because they are totally unaware, there is very little in the mainstream media about this. This has been again my experience this week talking to locals and friends, that they were simply unaware it was happening.

Earlier this month a motion calling on the Senate to recognise National Sorry Day was defeated by the Government in the Senate. Senator Siewert responded by stating
"I am extremely disappointed that the Government has refused to acknowledge the importance of National Sorry Day to Aboriginal Australians, and refused to support even the smallest symbolic gesture to recognise the grief caused by the removal of children and the pressing need for reconcilliation."
Our local council at Knox City are holding their second flag raising ceremony at 11.00 which I will be attending alongside many others to mark Sorry Day. Click here to check out other activites around the state.

There are many things that we can be passionate about, I believe that we need to reverse the lead of our PM, and not only say sorry but stop playing the blame game as well.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:59:00 PM, Blogger Mark Riessen said...

Great to see your back into blogging Steve and what a worthwhile subject too. It's a shame that I'm the first to post a comment in 5 days. This is either because not enough people have checked your blog, or because there is not enough awareness about the subject for people to care. Standing there next to you on National Sorry Day at the flag raising ceremony hosted by Knox City council I had mixed feelings. I was stoked that our local government dedicated so much time and attention to the issue of reconciliation with our indgenous brothers and sisters. At the same time I was dissappointed by the lack of turnout, particularly lack of presence by our local Christian community. Maybe there were some in disguise, but I didn't see a regognizable presence. So it got me thinking, surely the issue of reconciliation should be at the forefront of the Christian agenda ecumenically, particularly a reconciliation issue as politically sensitive as this. If those who profess to follow Jesus don't stand for and with the oppressed then who will? Well, I guess someone else will do it! I fear this is it fast becoming the attitude of the modern Christian.
You've inspired me to get back into blogging. Then I wouldn't rant so much on other peoples blogs. Now I might go and blog on. Cheers Mark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home